The compact camera is easy to use
The HD Motion JPEG in 1280 x 720 can also be selected as an alternative movie recording format in addition to QVGA, VGA and WVGA, which is more compatible with PCs. A special, separate button on the back lets the user instantly start recording movies while shooting photos without any having to make any extra settings. High quality sound can be recorded with the stereo microphone for Dolby® Digital Stereo Creator. A Wind Cut function is also available to block out most of the noise from background wind.
Even video beginners can record excellent movies with the DMC-GF2 because the popular iA mode is also available in movie recording. Optical Image Stabilizer (O.I.S.) helps prevent handshake when using high-powered zoom. Face Detection automatically detects a face in the frame and adjusts focus, exposure, contrast, and skin complexion on it, so it always turns out beautiful. The Intelligent D-range Control offers natural looking by optimizing the exposure for each part of an image, preventing blocked shadows and blown highlights and helping ensure that gradation and details are reproduced beautifully including the blue color of the sky. And Intelligent Scene Selector automatically switches between Portrait, Scenery, Close-up and Low Light modes according to the situation to optimize various parameters for higher visual quality.
The Touch AF in movie recording also lets users enjoy professional-like rack focusing. Just by pointing the subject, the focus is shifted to it and let it stand out to attract attention. The DMC-GF2 can save a frame of movie as photo during playback. The Video Divide function lets you split a video into two at the point you desire. This makes it possible to delete the unwanted part by cutting it off.
• Some functions may not be available depending on the lens that is mounted.
• Use a card with SD Speed Class* with "Class 4" or higher when recording motion pictures in [AVCHD]. Also, use a card with SD Speed Class with "Class 6" or higher when recording motion pictures in [MOTION JPEG].
* SD Speed Class is the speed standard regarding continuous writing.
** Full HD (1920 x 1080) movies are output by the image sensor at 30p (NTSC) / 25p (PAL), and recorded at 60i (NTSC) / 50i (PAL). HD (1280 x 720) movies are output by the image sensor at 30p (NTSC) / 25p (PAL), and recorded at 60p (NTSC) / 50p (PAL).
• Motion pictures can be recorded continuously for up to 29 minutes 59 seconds in some countries.
• Continuous recording exceeding 2 GB is not possible when recording Motion JPEG. Remaining time for continuous recording is displayed on the screen.
• AVCHD motion images recorded onto an SD Memory Card or a DVD disc cannot be played on a device that does not support the AVCHD standard.
• Dolby and the double-D symbol are trademarks of Dolby Laboratories.