Monday, May 17, 2010
The Clean Sensor Manifesto—05/17/10
Pledge yourself to these six rules for unspotted shots
1. I pledge...that I won’t change lenses excessively. I’ll be absolutely sure not to do it in an iffy (i.e. dusty, windy, dirty, sandy) environment, either. Ever.
2. I pledge...to never (never ever) change lenses with the camera powered on. A charged sensor acts like a vacuum, sucking dust into the camera.
3. I pledge...to buy a camera with automatic dust removal. These nifty devices help you keep your sanity, at least partially, by shaking the sensor at a microscopic level to help remove debris.
5. I pledge...to clean valiantly. If I’m going to clean, I’ll clean with a strong, wet cleanser such as Sensor Swabs with Eclipse solution. This method isn’t inexpensive, but it also works wonders on the toughest sensor dirt.
2. I pledge...to keep the back of the lens clean, too. That rear element, when it’s in the camera and exposed to the charged sensor during exposure, is bound to transfer dust. But not if it, too, is kept clean and spotless...like my pictures will now be, too!