March 12, 2007 HelpLine
Q) I'm looking for a program that will permit me to make and print out proof sheets that I can file with my photo CDs. A long time ago I did this with my negatives and it was very helpful.
John A. Rogers
A) If you're running Windows XP, you can print proof sheets with the built-in Photo Printing Wizard. Here's how:
1. Open the folder containing the images you wish to print.
2. Select the images and click on Print the selected pictures on the left Picture Tasks menu. Note: If the Picture Tasks menu doesn't display, you'll need to tell XP that the folder is an image folder. Right-click on the folder and select Properties. Select the Customize tab and in the area labeled What kind of folder do you want?, select Pictures from the dropdown menu, then click OK. If you still don't see the Picture Tasks menu, make sure you turn off the Explorer Bar (View menu).
3. Select Next. XP will display a screen showing all of the selected images that it can print-it can't print Photoshop PSDs, for example.
4. Select Next again and you're given the opportunity to select the printer you want to use. At this point, you should also select your printing preferences (for example, the type of paper you want to print on).
5. Select Next and you're given several printing layouts to choose from. These include Contact Sheet Prints, which will put 35 images on an 8.5x11 sheet. The file names appear below each image. The dialog box also gives you a small print preview so you can see how your images will look.
6. When you press Next again, it will start the printing process.
For Mac OS X users, try iPhoto, part of the iLife suite that comes free with new Macs.
1. Import the files to iPhoto.
2. Select the images you want to include in the proof sheet.
3. Use the Print command to open the printer dialogue, and under the Type dropdown select N-Up. Then select the number of thumbnails you want on each page and click Print.